Sunday, July 19, 2009

Matching Tops!

I am behind in my blog posts! A big and belated THANK YOU to HeathersSphere of the blog SEWspicious Minds for giving me the "One Lovely Blog Award" for newly discovered blogs. I really appreciate it, especially coming from HeathersSphere! She is an awesome sewist and I have enjoyed her creative, entertaining and informative reviews on PatternReview for a long time, and love her blogs as well!

In fact, HeathersSphere's sewing inspiration is a good transition to today's post, because she often sews fun outfits for herself and her daughter using matching fabric! I did that recently when I sewed a birthday top for one of my sisters, and included a top for her 1 1/2 year old daughter as well!


These Spring Ruffle Tops are from a tutorial from Rae from Made by Rae that was posted on the Sew, Mama, Sew!  website blog:
The pattern pieces are basic shapes which are created based on the person's measurements.
I made the following changes for my sister's top:
I thought the edges of the ruffles would be finished nicer if they were folded, so I made them twice as wide as suggested (6") and then folded them lengthwise and ironed them and gathered the raw edges. I also made them several inches longer than recommended to add a bit more fullness to the ruffles.
I left a couple inches off the bottom of the "trapezoid" piece, as I was trying to squeeze 2 tops out of the fabric I bought, and my sister is not short but the top was still plenty long. I also made the band and straps 4 1/2" wide rather than 5" wide - again, to save fabric.
For the pockets, I constructed them the way the big pattern companies normally have you make them.
I zigzagged raw edges. 
I hand sewed the top band down after attaching the bodice.
I sewed the pleats down about 1 5/8" - not quite 2" as the instructions say.
In case anyone makes the top for a little one, like my niece, here are the specifics for her version:
Her chest measured 20" and her hips measured 21", so the "x" and "y" in the directions each equaled 11.5.
For her ruffles, I made them 3" by 23" (resulted in much more "ruffliness" than the adult version).
The bodice was 17.5" wide and 12.5" long (not a trapezoid, but a rectangle based on her measurements)
The straps and chest band were 2 1/2" by 11 1/2".
I did not add pockets, and rather than pleats, I gathered the top of the bodice.
I think they both look cute as can be in their tops!  

3 comments:

  1. Nice job Lisa! And I agree, Megan and Autie look cute in their pretty tops!
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! That is so cute...matching tops for Megan and Autie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely so adorable and stylish! Your beautiful sister and her preciously cute daughter look fabulous. Very nice work on these tops!

    ReplyDelete

Thank youfor taking the time to comment!