Friday, May 1, 2009

Yummy "Chocolate Bread Pudding"



The following is an easy recipe using a modified brownie mix, homemade sour cream sauce, and fresh berries to make what I am calling Chocolate Bread Pudding. It's not technically bread pudding, but the finished consistency reminds me of it. 
"Bread Pudding" ingredients:
1 Brownie mix meant for an 8 x 8 pan (I used Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Brownie Mix)
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon egg white (I used Egg Beaters Liquid Egg Whites)
1 1/2 cups pumpkin
Mix together and spoon into large cupcake tins that have been sprayed with non-fat cooking spray - I divided it into 9 cupcakes. Mixture will be sticky and thicker than normal brownie batter. Bake in preheated oven at 325 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
Sour Cream Sauce ingredients:
4 tablespoons softened butter
1/2 cup light sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
2 1/4 cups confectioners sugar
Mix together. Add more or less confectioners sugar to make a thin frosting consistency.

Remove warm cupcakes from tins and place in individual ramekins (they could probably be baked right in the ramekins but I do not know what the baking time would be). Top with the Sour Cream Sauce and fresh berries (I used strawberries and blackberries). Serve warm. Enjoy!
These got good reviews from my family and friends. Unfortunately, despite attempts at lightening it up - using pumpkin in the brownie mix instead of all the oil, and using light sour cream - they still pack quite a calorie punch. For those of you who follow Weight Watchers, these are about 10 points per serving, including sauce and berries. However, they are quite filling and decadent, so if you serve them after a meal, split one with a friend for a more sensible treat!

3 comments:

  1. Haha, no, Heather, I did not ask Dad for one of his infamous ratings...the day after I delivered the desserts to the parents' house, I saw Dad at church and he said it was good - I left it at that!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a very delicious dessert! Tasted great and looked fabulous, too!
    -MOM

    ReplyDelete

Thank youfor taking the time to comment!